Approximately 4 Minutes Reading Time
Brief Article Overview
- It’s unlikely that you’ll be hitting any personal bests in the gym or achieving your ultimate physique during the winter holiday season.
- Instead, why not think of this time as a “maintenance” or “deload” phase.
- Relax and enjoy your time off, it’s good to know that you won’t lose your physique or fitness gains overnight.
- However, avoid dragging it out. It’s easy to get caught up in the festive period really early on. Don’t let your one week off turn into months of excess.
- Put your social events in order of priority and practice the art of saying no from time to time.
- Set a definite date in the calendar to get back to normal exercise and nutrition behaviours.
Negotiating the festive season without losing all the progress you’ve worked so hard to gain doesn’t require superhuman discipline, just a little proactive thinking and the right mindset will prevent you from feeling like an alcohol-infused turkey full of stuffing come January!
Enter a Maintenance Phase
It’s probably not realistic to expect to be making huge strides of progress over the festive period, be it losing an extra few kilos or hitting personal bests in the gym. If you can, then more power to you! But there’s a fine line between setting goals that fuel motivation and setting yourself up for failure.
The idea is that over the holiday season, you retain what you’ve worked so hard to achieve thus far. This is simple but not easy, and given the time of year it can feel like you’re running on a treadmill; lots of effort whilst staying in the same place. It’s important to remember that every day that you don’t regress, is progress.